Inspirational drama for elementary students and adults
Underdog and hero of our story, young Akeelah has a gift for words and hopes to make it to the National Spelling Bee. With the help of her community, she might just have what it takes to make her dream come true.
ASL interpreted performance: Friday, Feb. 28 @ 7:30pm
Akeelah and the Bee is part of our PLAYlabs series for local artists and actors to create an adventurous range of bold, diverse, and unique theatrical experiences where the stories of our community can be shared!
Wanna be a part of a really awesome show? We are looking for a multicultural cast of performers ages nine through adult. The script specifically needs actors who identify as African American, Latino, Asian and Caucasian- all races are welcome. All GREAT actors are volunteers cast through open auditions. We are proud to cast both new and returning actors and encourage everyone of all abilities, experience, and backgrounds to audition and discover the artist within yourself!
- Sign Up: The link to sign up for an audition date and time will be live Monday, December 2nd
- Auditions: Monday, December 16th
- Callbacks: If needed, will be Wednesday, December 18th
- Rehearsals begin Jan. 21, 2020: Please review the tentative REHEARSAL SCHEDULE to prepare conflicts for your audition form.
Auditions will take place at GREAT World Headquarters, Helgeson Learning Lab Theatre, 710 Sundial Drive, Waite Park (next to Crafts Direct). Lots of close free parking available.
WHAT TO PREPARE FOR AUDITIONS:
- Plan to arrive ten minutes early and dress for movement
- MONOLOGUE - Prepare a one minute monologue of your own choice or use the one we provide that will be online one month prior to auditions.
AKEELAH AND THE BEE ROLES:
Akeelah, Gail, Reggie, Dr. Larabee, Georgia, Batty Ruth, Drunk Willie, J.T., Dylan, Javier, Dylan’s Dad, Izzy, Ratchet Rhonda, Trish, Principal, DJ Rule, Judge, TV Announcer, Chucky, Pronouncer, Snorting Girl, Crying Girl, Foxy Fay, Horse Girl and Mohawk Girl
DIRECTOR: Debra Leigh
STAGE MANAGER: Julie Ripp
Please reach out to Dennis Whipple at 320.258.2787 or dennis@GreatTheatre.org with any questions about auditions.