Sasparella Trauffea is Dancing! Audition Information
- Online auditions are Tuesday, March 9 in fifteen-minute windows from 7-8:30pm via Zoom.
- The cast list will be posted on GREAT’s website by 5pm on Thursday, March 11th. The first rehearsal is Monday, March 15 from 7-9pm with a Cast Meeting from 7-7:30pm.
- Audition questions? Please reach out to email@example.com
About this Original Radio Show:
- Sasparella Trauffea is dancing! And she won’t stop! In this loose adaptation of the somewhat historical events of the Dancing Plague of 1518, the residents of a small town must deal with the consequences of a runaway father, an ostentatious mayor, and, of course, the brazen dancing of the Trauffea girl. Add to the mix a lovesick confectioner and a hasty engagement, and you’ve got the recipe for a rollicking adventure of a radio show that the whole family will love!
- Cast of Characters:
- Sasparella …. a young woman who wants to dance
- Egg …. a young woman who wants to open a sweet shop
- Ferdinand …. a young man who wants to explore the world
- Clorabelle …. a sweet girl and friend of Gertrudina’s
- Maude …. a dry-witted girl with an oversized vocabulary
- Gertrudina …. the mayor’s stubborn, only daughter
- The Mayor …. a backwater politician with a flair for the dramatic
- Edmund/Man #1 …. Gertrudina’s narcissistic fiancé
- Ferdinand’s Father …. a drunken ex-explorer
- Priest/Man #2 …. trying to keep the peace
- Auditions are open to adults ages 18+
What to Prepare for the Audition:
- When you sign up and complete the audition form you’ll be asked to note any conflicts you have with the rehearsal schedule and attach a headshot (a photo that shows your face clearly).
- For your audition, please be prepared to read for each of the four roles in the scene provided. (No memorization required.) We will be rotating characters and playing around with the humor and personality of each. We encourage auditionees to experiment with different voices or ways of speaking for each character: think about making each voice distinct and interesting (this is radio theatre!). Please know that you may be asked to sing a line or two of “Happy Birthday” on your own as well. This play is whimsical and joyful, so have lots of fun with it!
- Audition Scene PDF
Zoom Auditions: What to Expect
- You will receive a Zoom link for your audition on Monday, March 8.
- Please click the Zoom link to join the call a few minutes before your audition window time.
- When you arrive you will be admitted into the main room and we’ll chat for a minute, check your volume, and meet the others who will be auditioning with you (up to four people per fifteen minutes).
- When it is time for your audition you and your scene partners will be sent to a break-out room where the director and team will be thrilled to see you!
- In the audition room you will read different roles from the audition scene, playing with different character voices.
Zoom Audition Tips:
- Please sit or stand so that you are comfortable and confident. This is a radio audition, so the visual image is far less important than sound and your voice.
- Please choose a room that is very quiet so the team can really focus on your voice and characterization.
- Most importantly, have fun!
REHEARSALS: Rehearsals will be held via Zoom on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings March 15-April 6 from 7:00-9:00pm with one in-person tech rehearsal April 7 followed by recording the radio show on Thursday, April 8 (6-9pm). In-person rehearsals and performances follow a strict set of safety guidelines including masks required for all cast and staff.
SAFTEY: Due to COVID 19 this production may be delayed, cancelled or recorded via Zoom if needed. Please ensure that you have reviewed the risks and only audition if you are healthy and able to follow all safety guidelines to keep everyone safe. Please reach out with any questions or concerns you may have.
7:00pm CST Online