Make a difference in our community
Volunteers are the heart of GREAT Theatre. From onstage to backstage we have volunteer opportunities that will make a big impact and are a lot of fun.
WHO CAN VOLUNTEER? Everyone!
We have opportunities for all skill levels, including many family-friendly projects or opportunities for businesses to make an impact.
We are looking for volunteers to help us build and paint this season’s sets. Our sets are professionally designed and transform the stage into scenes that give the when, what, and where of the story. Volunteers will be able to help with sawing, drilling, assembling, covering, and base painting set pieces made out of both wood and steel.
Safety first! We ask that volunteers wear closed toe shoes and dress to be working both inside and out. We also ask that volunteers be at least 15 years of age, unless accompanied by an adult.
TYPES OF SKILLS WE NEED (AND CAN TEACH YOU!)
– basic carpentry for walls
– painting – fast & slow, broad & detailed*
– welding for flys and specialty objects
– cleaning & organizing*
– craftsmanship for props
– design & layout
– reading shop drawings
– shop safety
– yard work*
Costumes are an important part of what brings the characters to life on stage. This season will have more than 286 costumes! We are renting costumes for one show and building costumes for the other five shows.
SKILLS WE NEED (and can teach you!)
– pinning patterns and cutting fabric
– crafts such as glueing and beading*
– sewing from patterns and scratch
– launder, restock, and organize costumes*
– general cleaning & organizing*
Our student matinee volunteers help us achieve our mission of sharing the wonder of live theatre with students in our community, many of whom wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity. This season we have 20 student matinee performances. Lobby volunteers advocate for GREAT and set the stage by creating a magical experience for all audience members.
– have a smiling and welcoming personality
– be comfortable talking to people and answering questions
– be comfortable selling, and calculating and receiving payments
– be organized and attentive to detail
– be a team player
– weekday student matinee ushers
– concierge table attendant
– weekend performance ushers
Crew enhances the performance with all the little details that make a big difference. They follow cues to light the show, move the set on and off the stage, assist with sound, and support the actors.
– patient and fast thinking
– technically & mechanically inclined
– backstage crew
– load in & strike*
– sound assistant
– fly operator
– lightboard operator
– spotlight operator
– wardrobe, dresser & makeup
We organize and execute many projects that support a variety of objectives and goals including: marketing and mailings, donor gratitude, data entry, new audience member retention, fundraising, summer camp, and events.
– database entry
– stuffing envelopes/mailings*
– stickering school flyers*
– making copies of scripts
– donor seat thank you packages*
– writing thank you cards & phone calling
– summer camp craft prep*
– special projects & events*
– helping organize and run auditions