22/23 Student Matinees
LIVE THEATRE HAS A PROVEN, TANGIBLE BENEFIT TO STUDENT LEARNING. AND IT’S FUN!
Our Student Matinees provide young people access to high-quality theatre as a core part of their basic education. Field trips to live theatre have demonstrated enrichment in literary knowledge, tolerance, and empathy among students.
Student Matinees Highlights
- Full-Length Shows
- Affordable Ticketing
- Study Materials – that meet MN Arts Academic Standards
- Quality Education Titles
Students – $8 | Teachers – $10 | 1 free teacher ticket for every 15 students.
Register early! Final counts and payment are due 4 weeks before the performance.
Once you start the registration process, you will have five minutes to complete it. Here is the information you will want to have ready to complete your registration:
- School Name
- School Address
- Teacher Name
- Which Performance you want to attend
- # students and # adults attending
- any accessibility requests
Thanks to support from GREAT annual donors and foundations, pick-your-price tickets and assistance to help cover bussing costs are available. To request a scholarship please make a note in the accessibility section of the registration and we will be in contact with you for details.
Performance you would like to attend is sold out or not enough spots are available? CLICK HERE to complete our WAITLIST FORM
Want to make sure you get our communications for student matinees? CLICK HERE to join our Teachers & Administrators Mailing List.
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
PERFORMANCES: Tuesday, March 21st – 9:30AM & 11:30AM | Thursday, March 23rd – 9:30AM & 11:30AM
VENUE: Helgeson Learning Lab Theatre, Waite Park
RECOMMENDED GRADES: This performance will be best for those in PreK-3rd grade.
SHOW LENGTH: 60 minutes + dismissal & bus loading time
TAIL-SHAKING ROCK TUNES THAT CELEBRATE THE JOY OF WHO YOU ARE!
Rock out and experience the joy of being you! Wilbur the Naked Mole Rat was just like all the other naked mole rats until the day an ordinary hat falls into his tunnel and transforms his life forever. Based on the hit children’s book by Mo Willems, Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed: The Rock Experience proves that there’s no need to be just like everyone else. With tail-shaking tunes and inspiring messages of individuality, this musical is sure to rock audiences of all ages.
BUSSING, ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
Please carefully read the information below and pass this onto your bus drivers. Make sure you are looking at the correct venue. Bus policies have been put into place at each location to ensure the safety of you and your students. Please review the policies before your field trip.
913 West St. Germain Street, St. Cloud, MN 56301
ARRIVAL We ask that you arrive no earlier than 25 minutes prior to showtime. Tell your bus driver to unload students directly in front of the Paramount Theatre. If we have more than two busses parked in front, the bus driver will be asked to pull around the block to wait on 9th Ave N until our bus patrol volunteer motions for them to pull around front. Upon your arrival, a GREAT Theatre volunteer or staff member will board your bus and provide parking, unloading, and loading instructions to the driver. After students have unloaded, busses will be directed to continue down St. Germain Street and park at the St. Cloud Regional Library.
SEATING We will begin seating approximately 20 minutes before the show starts. The performance will start on time! A GREAT volunteer will help usher your students into their seats. If you need to rearrange students, please do so after everyone has been seated or have them exit the bus in the order you would like them to be seated.
RESTROOMS Please find your seats prior to using the restrooms. The restrooms are limited and easily congested, so plan accordingly. The performance will start on time! If you need to use the restrooms prior to leaving, please notify a GREAT volunteer when you arrive so we can plan dismissal accordingly.
DISMISSAL About 20 minutes before the show is over, the GREAT bus patrol volunteer will let your driver know when to report back to the Paramount Theatre. In order to return students to their schools in a timely manner we will dismiss you by school during the cast Q&A. It is important to follow instructions on order of dismissal as well as which door to park in front of. The students are simultaneously being dismissed from the theatre with the same instructions. For the safety of all, we ask that you wait inside until a GREAT volunteer lets you know that your bus has pulled up. Please count your students as they wait in line to load. We cannot allow buses to remain parked in the loading area for head counts. Your cooperation will make everyone’s departure a smooth and quick process.
EMERGENCY If an emergency arises on the day of your show, please call GREAT at 320.258.2787
Helgeson LEARNING LAB THEATRE
710 Sundial Drive, Waite Park, MN 56387
Park to unload students directly in front of the South East doors (near the back of the building). Look for the blue GREAT Theatre flags. Drivers may park in the parking lot directly behind and adjacent to the building.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
- Please include all students, teachers, and chaperones in your ticket order.
- When ordering seats please include any accessibility needs (wheelchair seating, difficulty with stairs, low vision, hard of hearing, etc.) and any special requests (first dismissal, last dismissal, need to use bathrooms before boarding bus, etc.). GREAT will try to accommodate all requests within reason.
- You will receive a bus arrival time in your email within the weeks before your performance.
- Remember to turn off all cell phones and electronic devices before the performance begins.
- Please make sure that everyone in your group knows that there is NO recording or photography is permitted during any GREAT performance. (Photos of your students under the marquee, etc. are permitted.)
- Inform students that there is no food, drink, or gum allowed in the theater.
- On the performance day if you are delayed and you will be arriving after the performance begins please call 320-258-2787.
- Groups will be seated by ushers upon arrival.
- Seating is determined by many factors. Accessibility needs, group size, and grade level are all taken into account when seating charts are created.
- Please allow ushers to seat your entire group before rearranging student seating and taking groups to the bathroom, etc.
- If you have an absent student please see an usher about a student voucher.
IN THE THEATRE
- Notify the nearest usher if there is a medical emergency.
- After the performance please remain in your seats. Schools will be dismissed through the PA system. When your school is dismissed an usher will guide you to the correct door.
- While dismissal is happening, actors will be on stage to answer questions from the audience.
- When leaving remind students to look for all hats, coats, mittens etc.
- When at the Paramount please count students as they board the bus so that the bus can leave the front of the building as soon as possible.
AFTER LEAVING THE THEATRE
- After the performance an email will be sent to the person who reserved the seats.
- Let us know what you think of the show! Feedback from students and staff is always appreciated. Letters can be mailed to: GREAT Theatre, 710 Sundial Drive, Waite Park, MN 56387 or email colinn@GreatTheatre.org
- If you have any additional questions, please call GREAT at 320-258-2787 or email our Education Manager – ColinN@GREATTheatre.org