GREAT Theatre was founded in 1998 by a dedicated group of volunteers, many of whom still help create amazing theater today! Last year alone, over 55,000 hours of volunteer time was donated to GREAT.
Everyone! We have opportunities for all skill levels, including many family-friendly projects. You are encouraged to volunteer in more than one area, and we would be happy to teach you new skills! (Please note that some positions may require a background check.)
Click on the links at the top of the page to learn more about each of the areas in which you can get involved.
SEASON VOLUNTEERS: Those who commit to volunteering throughout an entire season in a specific area (set, costumes, crew, office, board, committee) on a regularly scheduled basis.
SHOW VOLUNTEERS: Those who participate as part of a specific show(s) in one or more areas (acting, set, costumes, crew, ushering).
SPECIAL PROJECTS: Community events, business/group projects (United Way Day of Caring, school groups), and fundraising activities that are typically one-time only events.
To learn more fill out the interest form or email Adris Brown, our Volunteer Coordinator, at Adris@greattheatre.org or call us at (320) 258-2787!
TYPES OF SKILLS WE NEED (AND CAN TEACH YOU!)
- basic carpentry for walls
- painting - fast & slow, broad & detailed*
- welding for flys and specialty objects
- cleaning & organizing*
- craftsmanship for props
- design & layout
- reading shop drawings
- shop safety
- yard work*
Costumes are an important part of what brings the characters to life on stage. This season will have more than 286 costumes! We are renting costumes for one show and building costumes for the other five shows.
SKILLS WE NEED (and can teach you!)
- pinning patterns and cutting fabric
- crafts such as glueing and beading*
- sewing from patterns and scratch
- launder, restock, and organize costumes*
- general cleaning & organizing*
Our student matinee volunteers help us achieve our mission of sharing the wonder of live theatre with students in our community, many of whom wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity. This season we have 20 student matinee performances. Lobby volunteers advocate for GREAT and set the stage by creating a magical experience for all audience members.
- have a smiling and welcoming personality
- be comfortable talking to people and answering questions
- be comfortable selling, and calculating and receiving payments
- be organized and attentive to detail
- be a team player
- weekday student matinee ushers
- concierge table attendant
- weekend performance ushers
Crew enhances the performance with all the little details that make a big difference. They follow cues to light the show, move the set on and off the stage, assist with sound, and support the actors.
- patient and fast thinking
- technically & mechanically inclined
- backstage crew
- load in & strike*
- sound assistant
- fly operator
- lightboard operator
- spotlight operator
- wardrobe, dresser & makeup
We organize and execute many projects that support a variety of objectives and goals including: marketing and mailings, donor gratitude, data entry, new audience member retention, fundraising, summer camp, and events.
- database entry
- stuffing envelopes/mailings*
- stickering school flyers*
- making copies of scripts
- donor seat thank you packages*
- writing thank you cards & phone calling
- summer camp craft prep*
- special projects & events*
- helping organize and run auditions