The story of Cinderella has been around hundreds of years and along the way, it’s been retold many times. Maybe you’ve seen the Cinderella animated Disney film, or Brandi as the title role, or the 2015 live action film. Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella is the new Broadway adaptation of the classic musical. This contemporary take on the classic tale features Rodgers & Hammerstein’s most beloved songs alongside a hilarious script with some new characters, and surprising twists.
The joy (and challenge) of casting this production will be that we are very open to a variety of ages for the lead characters from ages 16-adults. Our chorus will have roles for young people ages 10-15 and 16-adult. Please note that this production is on an outdoor amphitheater stage that is 60’ wide with a concrete floor requiring a lot of physical “distance” traveling and dancing on a hard surface. The amphitheater seats over 4,000 people so the style of performing will be physical comedy and broad acting choices.
- Audition Sign Up: BEGINS MONDAY, MAY 3 at 10:00am. Please check back!
- Pre-Audition Workshops: Tuesday, May 4th. SIGN UP TODAY!
Thinking about auditioning and not sure what to expect? We’d love to help you feel comfortable. Ask questions, meet the team, get tips on auditioning, and (if you choose) receive feedback on your prepared monologue and/or song.
- Virtual Auditions: May 10th and 11th via ZOOM*
*If you do not have a computer please contact us at 320.258.2787 and we will schedule another type of audition.
- Call-backs: You will receive an email by May 13th if you are invited to call-backs that will be held on Monday, May 17th in person at the Helgeson Learning Lab Theatre (Physically distanced, all must wear masks and follow COVID Safety Guidelines that will be emailed to you.)
- Rehearsals: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00-9:00pm starting Monday, May 24 and one Saturday rehearsal July 17 9am-5:00pm at the Helgeson Learning Lab Theatre. We will hold some rehearsals via Zoom and our in person rehearsals will be physically distanced wearing masks (and some rehearsals will be outdoors.) Not everyone will be called to every rehearsal.
- Tech rehearsals: July 19, 20, 21 and 22 from 6:00pm-11:00pm at The Ledge Amphitheater in Waite Park (outdoors). All actors will be called.
- Performances: July 23, 24 & 25 at 8:00pm at The Ledge Amphitheater in Waite Park (outdoors). We are holding July 26 at 8:00pm for a rain out performance if needed.
What to prepare
Please choose one audition monologue, one song, and learn the dance from the videos below to prepare for your audition:
- Click here for Monologues Choices
- Please click the song titles to print and then prepare one of the following songs from the musical Cinderella to perform for your audition. *MP3’s of the songs to practice with will be uploaded soon to this site, please check back!
- Children: Do Re Mi
- Marie: Marie _Impossible
- Learn the dance sequence from our choreographer Allyson. Below you can play the music to practice your dance and to play when you perform your dance for your audition.
- Click here to watch audition dance video for ages 16-adult.
- Click here to view breakdown of dance audition for ages 16-adult
- Click here to watch audition dance video for ages 10-15
- Click here to view breakdown of dance audition for ages 10-15
- Click here to view breakdown from the back of audition for ages 10-15
Cinderella Production Team
Directed by Dennis Whipple, Assistant Directed by Kendra Norton Dando, Musical Direction by Hillary Vermillion and Choreography by Allyson Richert.
Ella (F) – Kind, patient, grounded, and fun-loving. Willing to dream big. Opinionated, charismatic, passionate, and intelligent. (Soprano)
Madame (F) – Step mother. Selfish, vain, and “ravenous social climber.” Unintentionally humorous. Can deliver both ornery and comedic punchlines. (Soprano)
Gabrielle (F) – Stepsister. A unique personality that is just about to bloom. Funny. Follows her sister’s and mother’s bad example until she finds true love with Jean-Michel. Helps Cinderella in the end. (Soprano)
Charlotte (F) – Stepsister. Snooty. Desperate. Can deliver a strong humorous punchline. More like her mother than Gabrielle. (Mezzo-Soprano)
Marie (F) – Character Description: Fairy Godmother in disguise as a “crazy” old woman. Confident. Witty and Gritty, but warm and inspiring. Shows kindness to Ella because Ella shows kindness to her. (Soprano)
Topher (M) – The Prince. Naive, misguided, brave, longs to do something important with his life, but feels unfulfilled. Thoughtful and innocent. Has an “unforced goofy streak.” (Baritone)
Sebastian (M) – Stuffy, arrogant, superior. Loyal to Prince Topher, but also eager to maintain power and authority. Deeply afraid of losing his power. (Baritone)
Lord Pinkleton (M) – Professional. Poised. Nobel. Sebastian’s right hand person. (Tenor)
Jean-Michel (M) – Feisty, passionate, peasant determined to make a change for the poor. Isn’t taken seriously. Has a crush on Gabrielle. (Baritone)
Choruses: Knights, Peasants, Townspeople, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Court, Griffin, Servants, etc. There are many solo lines of dialogue and singing for our adult chorus members. Children will be cast as both Townspeople and animals (Fox, Raccoon, Mice & Horses)